$26 | Central Valley, Chile
Pairs well with cheese boards, grilled chicken, crab cakes
Sugar: 0.32 g/L
Elegant and elevated with notes of Asian pear, Meyer lemon, white pepper and a hint of tomato and celery on a textured, lengthy finish.
Many South American vineyards are nestled among some of the tallest and most beautiful mountain ranges in the world, with elevations as high as 20 (“veinte”) thousand feet. At these higher elevations, the air is thin and dry, making it inhospitable for many pests that attack grapevines, therefore eliminating the need for pesticides. These extreme growing conditions make for delicious wine that exhibits concentrated flavors and unique character.
For this Chardonnay, grapes were handpicked from vines planted 35 years ago. After harvest, grapes were destemmed, lightly crushed, pressed and placed in stainless steel tanks to ferment on native yeasts for 28 days while another portion of the juice is fermented in older barrels. 66% of the wine was then aged in stainless steel barrels, while the other 34% aged in neutral oak barrels for 6 months until bottling, fined with bentonite clay and lightly filtered.
DID YOU KNOW? Despite Chile’s huge influences from Spain, when most of France’s vineyards were destroyed by disease in the 19thcentury, many unemployed French winemakers moved to Chile to work, bringing their knowledge with them!